Evaluation Systems Need Fixing

From a recent Edweek article:

“It’s clear to most educators that the current crop of teacher-evaluation systems is flawed, overwrought, and sometimes just plain broken …”

Consider IDEO’s findings about traditional annual reviews:

“No one likes annual reviews: They’re structured, overly formal, and they make it difficult to get real feedback that you can act upon.”

And a recent Rand study in which:

“Only 31 percent of teachers reported that they have sufficient time to collaborate with other teachers.”

Rethink evaluation by finding out about new approaches that work by building collective efficacy. Come to my pre-conference session on Opening Classroom Doors at the IB Global Conference in October. Or attend my session on Observers as Learners at Learning Forward this December. Or better yet, contact me at Tigris Solutions. There are better ways to enhance professional practice!

2 thoughts on “Evaluation Systems Need Fixing

1. I have always thought that one solution was to ask the stakeholders, the students. They will give the empirical evidence over time, which would be a part of an overall evaluation. Also, they would feel empowered and important. Maybe even make Evaluation an official job that they can apply for in the same way that college students apply for RA positions, with incentives.

2. Agreed! We make many decisions that affect students without seeking their input. But student voice is essential both to empower them and because it provides us with incredible feedback about instruction.